CHRISTOPHER L. BELL
- About me
• 2016: Formed mbh together with Ulrike Mönnich and Helmut Heiss
• 2009: Joined gbf as a partner
• 2007: Left what was then SCOR SA, Zürich to firm his own firm
• 1997: Joined Zürich Reinsurance Company, Zürich, as Senior Transactional Counsel
• 1987: Passed CPE, Part II, became Solicitor
• 1987: Joined Barlow Lyde and Gilbert in the Reinsurance Division, becoming a partner in around 1992
• 1984: Passed California Bar exam (Inactive)
• 1981: Pupillage, 1 Temple Gardens, practised as a barrister until 1987
• 1979: Passed Bar Exam, England and Wales
- Profile and Expertise
Christopher Bell has over thirty years' experience in working as a lawyer. He was a partner in Barlow Lyde and Gilbert in London and worked as the head of Transactional Legal at Zurich Reinsurance Company and Converium AG in Zürich, which was acquired by SCOR. He left and established his own practice in 2007 before joining gbf, a Zürich law firm, where he was a partner, in 2009. He left gbf together with Ulrike Mönnich and Helmut Heiss to establish mbh on the 1st January 2016.
He was previously a partner in a major City of London law firm, responsible for handling numerous major cross-jurisdictional disputes and had 10 years of experience working in-house on transactions including drafting contract wordings, ILS placements and mergers and acquisitions as well as claims disputes.
• Insurance and reinsurance wordings.
• Audits: Claims and Underwriting
• Insurance Linked Securities, wordings and structuring.
• Claims and dispute resolution, arbitration, litigation, mediation and negotiation.
• Experience of securitisations and structuring.
• Commutations, run-off, retrocessions.
• Cross-border considerations, regulation and compliance
Board member and member of the Audit Committee of Medical Defence Union Services Ltd from 2000 to 2007.
He was called to the Bar of England and Wales 1979 and passed the California Bar (Inactive) in 1984. He became a Solicitor in 1987.
He is a member of the LCIA and Swiss Arbitration Association and speaks English and German.